Monday, November 2, 2009

Time For A Change

Hello all! This is the same Iowa Horsegirl posting, I have just decided to change the title of my blog because I just didn't like my long title anymore and this one seems more familiar to me. This name also has a meaning special to my heart as Gold is in loving memory of my collie, Goldie, who died a couple of years ago and still holds a special place in my heart. Her picture is still on my cellphone so I get to remember her everyday and I miss her a lot...it was especially sad because I didn't get to say good-bye. Riley is my older dog who I still love to play and cuddle with whenever I go home. Now he has Mugsy, our 5-month old St. Bernard puppy, to play with. I feel bad for him because Mugsy easily overtakes him so he has to fight for our attention. But he can still hold his own.

Classes have been keeping me really busy. I finally got my tuition situation figured out so I have been able to breathe a little more easy this past month. Midterms are over and I haven't checked my grades yet, partly because I'm kinda scared to! Ok, not really, I know where I am at in my classes and am doing well in all of them. I am doing an hour of service learning for my Children's Lit class and it has been a blast! One of the highlights of my week is going to Kirkwood Kids to read and play with the three-year olds, especially when the kids behave and listen to you. Today, one of the kids whom I get along with extremely well and read to a lot bit me in play and wouldn't apologize, so he had to sit in time out while the other kids got to spend their outside time playing. He ended up sort of apologizing, but I had to go so I took it. Oh well, maybe next week will be better.

I am still working at Beahr Ridge Arabians whenever I have no homework and the weather allows. For now the weather has been really good, except for my hometown, but I will get to that later. I went a couple of weeks ago and the assistant trainer and I got six horses worked! It was a great day and we make a very good team. I went today, and we only got two horses worked, but they were horses who needed a little more attention and I had to get back to Cedar Rapids to run some errands. I had the chance to ride Kingslee again today, but didn't because one of the horses that I was lunging today pulled the rope through my hands and I wasn't wearing gloves and the rope kinda bit into my fingers. So I knew that I would have to grip the reins and hold Kingslee's face to get him back into frame, and leather would only irritate my fingers more, so I skipped on the chance. I do hope that I get another one. We made progress with the horse I was lunging though. The horse, Rose, went into a canter with the assistant trainer on her without my help, which is huge progress.

This weekend is the Arabian Spooktacular Fall Show here in Cedar Rapids and Beahr Ridge is going. I will be helping as well as working at McDonalds. So it will be a busy weekend. Hopefully I can get a little sleep in between jobs. Sylvia just got back from the US Arabian National Championships, which she got Top Ten in Ladies Western Side Saddle with Autumn Storm V+/ aka Dude. Now she has a bad cold and maybe the flu, so we are hoping she gets better before the Fall Show. I still love working there and will probably move to Cedar Falls next year to be closer and maybe attend UNI, but nothing is a sure thing. If I can find a good job with horses somewhere, who knows where I can end up, but that is my plan for now.

I will try to update my blog more often, but I think I already said that previously, but I WILL try. Until next time...chao!!

No comments: