Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crazy Day/Nice Surprise

This morning went from normal to crazy at the drop of a hat. One of the horses had rubbed herself against one of the posts in her stall that was stained yesterday and had a good size patch of it on her neck along with other splotches here and there. I wasn't too worried about it at first, I tried to wipe some of it off with a rag, but that didn't do too much. The stain is a slow-drying, nonlethal, sticky substance that gives a nasty taste to the horse if they decide to chew wood or crib, but is otherwise harmless unless the horse has sensitive skin. Once Paige saw it, she freaked, saying that it was a stupid idea to have painted that stuff in a stall with a horse in it in the first place, and that she could have a reaction. The horse was fine. She wasn't rubbing it obsessively and was otherwise playing around with the other horses. The stain was on her coat, which has yet to shed anyway, so it wouldn't have stayed on for very long anyway. One of the interns and I did end up getting it off with warm, soapy water. The thing that got me going was how Paige kept going on about how stupid it was of us to have let it happen in the first place. I normally mentally beat myself up for my mistakes, I don't need any help in that department.

Not ten minutes after the stain incident, one of the other horses was pawing quite high at the new horse on the other side of the fence. He wasn't being mean, he was just letting the other horse know that he was the boss. While he was doing that, two of the new agri-stretch plastic wire got caught in-between his hoof and shoe. This caught him off guard and he started backing away quickly. Boy did that stuff stretch!! He got halfway across the paddock before one of them snapped off the post, the other kept stretching until he stopped. We were able to clip off the remaining wire from his hoof and fix the fence.

I also rode Madusa and Barney tonight. They both went pretty well, despite the fact that Barney hasn't been ridden in a while.

As I was tacking up Madusa for her ride, I overheard Brian and Paige talking outside the groom room and Brian mentioned that he hadn't seen me ride Barney that much. Paige answered that I don't have the ambition to ride. I only ride a couple times a week and I could be riding more. Yes, that is true. I could ride every day, I have two horses that are finished and need the exercise. I do not have as much ambition as I used to, but that is because 1)I don't have the freedom to think for myself and share my achievements without being mentally knocked down; and 2)I am out working in the barn all day, at the end of the day, I am tired; if Jan is working, I am annoyed; and I enjoy socializing with the boarders since I don't go out at all. I barely ever leave the farm, I go work in the barn for at least 6 hours every day, then either ride or go inside and watch TV and go online. I even tried to see if I could have Easter off, and Paige said it's probably going to be a "no." Well, now I can work toward getting Reed's graduation off. *crosses fingers*

I did get a package in the mail today from my mom. She sent me three T-shirts, two of them barn-related, and one with the Latin translation of "Lamb of God". Thanks, Mom!!

No comments: