Saturday, April 2, 2011

New Intern

Julie, our new intern, started today and I think she is going to do better than Jan! She handled and got along with all the horses very well, did her work quickly and accurately, and was quiet! I was cleaning stalls with her, and didn't hear any humming sounds or loud comments. That is unless Jan was with us. Tomorrow she has the day off, but I look forward to working with her more on Monday.

We got some stalls ready for a trainer who was passing through on her way back to Canada from Florida, where she was training and showing for the winter. I asked if they needed any help and they handed me a young, new horse whom they were bringing North for training. He seemed to be the most easy-going of the bunch. Once they got him off the trailer, I took him to his stall, which he walked right into, stood quietly while I took his shipping boots off, drank some water, and rolled before they fed him his supper. He was so ready to be fed, he started chewing on the wood! The other horses balked at one point, but this one was completely fine...like he had been here his whole life.

Tonight I made Rice Krispie treats and Chex Mix. Now I have something to snack on when I take a break. I also had another headache today, which Jan didn't help with her loudness, but I took a nap after chores and it had diminished to a dull throb. I think I am getting them more ofter now because of the weather. The wind had been blowing quite a bit, and I go in and out of it a lot during the day. Hopefully they will pass once the weather calms down.

No comments: