Saturday, April 16, 2011

Differences

Recognizing and accepting differences is one of the major issues in our society today. I grew up in a religious, old-fashioned family, in the same little town my parents grew up in. Before I left for college, I didn't really know what my true opinions of what was going on in the world were. My first job working at the grocery store didn't really give me a lot of cultural variety. All the employees were from the same area in general so we were all the same race and heterosexual.


Going to college and working at McDonald's was a whole other ball game. I came across homosexuals, African Americans, who outside of McD's were more of Chicago's hip hop culture, and rebellious teens who listened to hip hop, rap, heavy metal, and some of whom were into the party scene already. I found that a lot of these people are some of the most beautiful people I have met. I'm not just talking about the physical beauty, even though the lesbian I worked with was a gorgeous young woman; I'm talking about the mental and emotional beauty. They were also more sure of themselves as people.

These people taught me how to listen with an open mind and heart, blocking out our differences in race, or sexuality, or culture. They would actually listen to what I had to say and not question or judge or try to help. In turn, I also listened to what they had to say about their views on life. Through this, I have learned what beliefs I have set in stone. I still am not too keen on the whole gay marriage/homosexual lifestyle, it is not my lifestyle of choice; but if some of my friends want to choose the homosexual lifestyle, I can't stop them. It has been proven that sexuality is NOT a choice. It is the way a person IS. Thanks to those that I have met, I can now say that I can blend in with just about anyone or any crowd I happen to be a part of. But that doesn't mean that that is who I am. It means I know what they are saying, even if it isn't in proper English. I can say I don't judge others on their sexuality, culture differences, skin color, etc.

If we are all God's children, then won't He accept everyone despite those differences?

No comments: