Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And the Beat Goes On

Today was pretty much the same. Jan was here, we got everything done that we were supposed to do and then some. One of the boarders used the arena all day to practice loading a couple horses in training so they would be comfortable going in when the time comes to load them; she also worked a couple horses and her farrier came out to trim her horses' feet. I really like this farrier. Every time he comes, it is like a classroom. He explains what is good and bad about each horses' legs and hooves and if it is good or bad. If it is bad, he explains why and exactly what is going on. It is so interesting! Some of the stuff I either already know, or is kinda fuzzy in my memory. The hooves are the foundation of the horse and if they are not trimmed, shod, or looked after properly, the horse could end up lame for life. He also showed us a few radiographs of 30 year old Arabian gelding and they did not look pretty!! Even before he started explaining, I could see what was wrong.

I also got to ride Madusa this evening and she went really good. I think she likes the bit she has in her now, and I dropped her bridle a notch and she didn't shake her head as much. All in all, it was a great day. I didn't have to listen to Jan talk a lot and was able to meditate while I was doing my stalls, like I always do.

As I type this, Lent is halfway through and the Little Black Book said to look back on the commitments made this season. Have I made any mistakes? Yes, I have bitten at my fingers a little bit. Can I fix it? Of course. I am going to work even harder to find a way to stop biting nails, let them heal, and find a habit that is not self-destructive. Any suggestions, readers? I will leave you tonight with that question. Until tomorrow, readers.

No comments: