Sunday, March 13, 2011

Little Black Book

Good evening to all! I am getting used to the new time since last night was daylight savings. I think I like falling back better, but what can I do? Haha. I went through my normal Sunday routine of going to mass in the morning, then heading to the barn at noon. Jan keeps improving everyday and tomorrow is her day off. We'll see how she does flying solo on Tuesday since my mom is taking me out for the day!! I can't wait!

Tuesday will be the first day off that I have had in over a month. Mom is coming down tomorrow evening and will pick me up from the farm. I hope I have everything done by the time she gets here. She has already told me she is ready for a foot massage.

Today's readings were about temptation, starting from the beginning when the serpent tempted Adam and Eve with the fruit of the tree that God had forbidden them to even touch. We all know what happens in that story. In the gospel, the devil, not realizing who Jesus was exactly, tempted Jesus three times while Jesus was in the desert, yet Jesus did not give in and the devil was defeated. The homily that Fr. Huber gave told of how we are all tempted by the devil every day. The devil is lazy, meaning he quickly finds our weaknesses and goes with that instead of dreaming up new temptations, which is why we find ourselves sounding like a broken record whenever we go to confession. He also gave the analogy that the devil tempting us is like a bullfight. The bull, after being lanced open, is tempted by the toreador (aka torero) waving a red cape. With each charge and pass through the cape, the bull tires until it's head is low enough to expose the shoulder blades. The toreador then takes his sword and, if he is strong enough to do so, plunges it between the shoulder blades and into the bull's heart. We are the bulls that are tempted by the devil's toreador cape. If we continue to give into temptation, the devil will eventually kill us spiritually. If we are really smart, we would spend less time attacking the cape and go for the bullfighter!

I thought it was a brilliant homily. It had many good points and I got a lot out of it. After mass I picked up The Little Black Book...no, it's not what you are thinking. It doesn't contain a bunch of addresses and phone numbers. It is a book that has 50 six minute meditations for us for each day of Lent starting with the Sunday before Ash Wednesday and ending with Easter. I am going to find some time to catch up with the days that I missed so I can get the most out of it.

That is about all I have to say for today. Until tomorrow, ttfn!

No comments: