Friday, March 11, 2011

Did you think I forgot already?

Ha! It is almost midnight and I'll be you guys were thinking I had already forgotten to post. Nope. I was just trying to figure out what to post!

I had a pretty good day, I am starting to tone out Jan's consistent noise-making since I will be working with her for a couple of months. So I might as well get used to it. I think she is seeing how much work being an assistant barn manager actually is. Today I had to put her on stalls and we pretty much did stalls all day since the other stall cleaner had a family emergency. She had almost all the morning turnout stalls done before we had to switch horses for turnout. After that I went to lunch while she cleaned the last stall. After our breaks, we cleaned more stalls, swept the cement side, brought in horses, and did chores. I noticed that even though she has had horses for quite a while, she doesn't have very good handling skills and is quite nervous around the horses. I had to switch horses with her today because the horse she was leading got scared of the farmhand's kids, which in turn, scared her. So I had to turn around and give her the horse that I had, who can be a pushy jerk every now and then, but that ended up going ok. In other words, they both got in the barn in one piece.

We had amazing weather today and I got to ride in an empty arena after chores. It felt so nice and Madusa, the Arabian that I normally ride, did pretty well despite the fact that we switched bits with her again. I know that she goes fine in about any bit we put in her mouth, but horses are creatures of habit and it would be nice to just let her have the same bit every time. The last bit she likes, but Paige wants her horse, Barney, to be the only one who has it. Since there is nothing I can do about that, I can only hope that Madusa keeps improving and gets back in the shape that I had her in at the end of the summer last year. The bit that she has now is fatter than the others that she has worn and I am hoping that she is able to swallow, so I will be looking out for any sign of excess saliva dripping from her mouth. It is normal for a horse to salivate a little with a bit that they like, but too much can be uncomfortable when they can't swallow properly. Imagine talking or doing something physical and not being able to swallow when your mouth gets full of saliva. Pretty gross isn't it, and not being able to breathe properly just makes it even harder! Well, I guess I will just have to keep an eye on her.

So I guess I will leave with that. We'll see what tomorrow brings. TTYL!

No comments: