Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Relax! It's Your Day Off!!

Other than a half hour today, that is just what I did. When I worked at McDonald's, I would normally get called in on my days off and it was mainly to close the store because they were short-handed. So it didn't surprise me that when Mom and I were at my apartment for a while, I was expecting a text from Paige saying they needed some help bringing in the horses or that Jan couldn't make it and I had to bring in the horses and do the evening feed. I continuously said that I should at least go see if they needed help, but Mom stood firm and said "Gabby, it is your DAY OFF! So relax!!!" After I saw Jan and Paige walking out to get the horses, I finally did.

Last night after a busy day and my brief post, Mom and I checked into the hotel and went to Pizza Hut where we had breadsticks and a delicious thin crust mushroom pizza. After a stop at Casey's for some chocolate, we headed back to the hotel and spent some time in the hot tub. Back in the room, as we were enjoying our chocolate goods, my dad texted me asking if we had any surprises. I replied that we had not, and he told me to look in Mom's bag. Sure enough, there was a bag of Ghirardelli chocolate in her bag for us to enjoy.

This morning we went to the Jiva Spa and Salon. My massage was at 9:00 and it was an amazing treat having a full body massage with hot stones. During Mom's massage, I got my hair cut and looked around the store a little bit. After that we had lunch at the Olive Garden, went to the mall (without getting anything), and went back to my apartment. While there, I sorted through my closet a little, mopped, and we played cards to kill the time before we went to Raymond for the Stations of the Cross and mass. After mass (and Mom nearly pulling over the pew in front of us several times before she realized she should stop pulling on it to help herself up) Father Huber joined us for supper at Applebee's where we had an awesome time catching up and torturing Mom with our Facebook talk and exchanging what annoying songs we would get stuck in our heads at the most inappropriate times.

When I got home, I went out to the barn to visit the horses a while and see if everything went smoothly, which it did. I was glad and Paige was showing me a chunk of shavings that was still frozen. I went in to see if I could kick anything off of it, and she promptly shooed me out of the stall, saying it was my day off and I didn't need to be doing that!

I don't know why it is, but I just can't seem to stop working lately. I remember, as a kid, being incredibly lazy. I never did my chores when told to, if I did any, they were done poorly or at the last second. It wasn't until I got my first job at the grocery store in Garner, IA that I started working a bit more and got into the habit. After 3 years of that job, I went off to Kirkwood, took a semester off to get situated and found myself bored. So I got the job at McDonald's. Shortly thereafter, I got a job at Papa Murphy's and quit at Mickey D's. I soon realized that that was a big mistake. At Papa Murphy's I was making more, but wasn't working very many hours. I also couldn't keep up on the line and found that I like working in the back more, doing dishes, making the cookie dough, and pizza skins. I eventually went back to McDonald's and worked both jobs while going to class. That turned into too much stress and not enough sleep, so I quit Papa Murphy's. Eventually, I worked my way up at McDonald's and when I left I knew how to do everything on the front line, closed most of the time, and started working in the kitchen. Some of the coworkers would be douchebags and either not show up or call and say that they quit the job when they had to close. So I would be called in on most of my days off because no one wanted to close the store. Some days I didn't mind, but after working a solid 3 weeks, I really needed the day off to save my sanity. I had to learn how to say "no" to my managers and coworkers and look out for myself for a change because if I had to deal with another night of bratty teenage coworkers, grumpy managers, and disgruntled customers, I was going to either collapse or scream. The job itself was easy. Take orders, take money, clean, scrub, mop, dishes, etc. It was the same thing everyday and for the most part, I got along really well with everyone, but it only takes one person, be it a coworker, manager, or customer, to just ruin the mood for the night. That's what was hardest about that job. Working on the farm is great! I get to work with horses everyday, something I have been dreaming of doing since I was a little girl. I also get to meet some pretty cool people.

I start out the day by turning out the first group of horses. Then I clean stalls, sweep the barn aisle, and switch the morning group of horses with the afternoon so all of the horses get some time outside. After a lunch break, I clean a few more stalls, prepare the hay cart, fill water buckets, put hay in the dirt side's stalls that are occupied, and ride if I have the time. At 3:30, I bring in the horses, feed the horses, and sweep the barn aisle. If I have the energy, I ride, otherwise I go in for the day or for an hour to give the horses time to eat before I ride. Whether I ride or not, I always feel like I put in a full day's work. Now that the days are getting warmer and longer, I am looking forward to being able to do more and am hoping that I can continue to grow as a horsewoman.

I think that is all for now. See y'all tomorrow!

No comments: