Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blustery Day

Today was quite the day. It was windy, cold, and rainy...quite the opposite of yesterday's lovely weather. We ended up turning the horses out in the indoor arena, which is a pain in the rear, but at least the horses get to go out for a little while at least. I was about 3 groups away from being finished, when Sheena, one of the boarders, came in to work her horses. She also has a couple of training horses in the barn so it took a while. It was a good time for me to saddle up Madusa and ride her for a while. She hasn't been going as well as I know she can, so I am going to really try to ride her more so I can get her back into her old form. I think I am going to us my own bit next time since I just don't like the one she has now; I think it is still too small for her mouth, and the bit rings look like they would be pinching her mouth.

Tomorrow the vet comes to give spring shots, do some dental work on some horses, and maybe clean some sheaths...not the most pleasant of jobs, but it needs to be done! Jan will be there to help hold horses while I do my half of stalls, so that should give her some good experience.

The wind has been horrible today! I came in for lunch to find my door was wide open, allowing the mist and cold air to come in. I shut it and made a note to close it more firmly next time. After lunch and a little more work in the barn, I decided to take another short break while Sheena worked a couple horses and the door had again blown open! At this point I was a little aggravated since my apartment is really a basement and, since heat rises, it takes a while for it to warm back up. The door at this point had to be open for a few hours so far. After chores, I went back and the door was still shut, so I thought I was in the clear for the rest of the night. I still had to turn out a couple more horses and the day would be done. When I came in for the last time tonight, my door was again open! Paige was going inside as well when she heard me growl in frustration and curse at the door, and she just started laughing at my bad luck. I sat down and could literally see my breath! So now my apartment is finally starting to warm up again, so I can stop shivering. Haha.

The weather for the rest of the week looks miserable. The high's are back down to the upper 30's and it's supposed to rain quite a bit. Hopefully the wind will die down soon though. I think I should go to bed so I can survive another busy day at the barn and putting up with Jan. These last couple of days have been nice, quiet, and calm!! Aahhh. Good night, readers!

No comments: